Change in the number of employment / self-employment initiatives or their capacity due to the intervention..
To show sustainability initiatives should last a defined period of time (6 months, 12 months).
- Includes micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) initiatives of all kind of sectors (agro-business -primary production transformation-; transport; new technologies related business -internet, mobile phone-; retailers/dealers; carpenters; tailors; hostelry, etc.)
- Includes group and individual income generating activities for contribution to household economy.
- Highlight the equally of opportunities for men/women; youth; other remarkable group (e.g. ethic, religious)
Equal opportunities for women/youth/other groups applies depending on the program, normally when the employment/self-employment intervention is not addressed to a specific group.
The focus of this indicator is in the creation or strengthening of employment initiatives, not in the number of new people employed, even if both indicators can be used in the same kind of projects/programs.
- MSME: micro, small and medium enterprises (formal or informal)
Gender-age-disabilities, chronic diseases (if individuals, associations members, etc.);
Head of household gender, age, disabilities, chronic diseases, dependency ratio (if households), and any other relevant criteria, such as urban/rural, religious, ethnic or political identities;
Wealth groups; Livelihoods group (e.g. pastoralist, farmers, traders)
Period to achieve the objective;
Direction of change:
Both secondary and primary data collection can be used according to context.
- Baseline/Endline. If multiyear programme consider also a mid-term evaluation.
- Secondary data. Reliable/relevant sources from other actors, clusters or government (e.g. assessment information, reference to a normal situation).
Unit of Measurement: MSME
Data Collection methods:
Secondary data analysis;
Focus Group Discussions; Key Informant Interviews.
To measure the creation of new MSME initiatives we can use all formal documentation and records generated to achieve it.
To measure the strengthening of existent MSME we could use the production/sales/clients/stocks records as a base to compare between baseline and endline.
Sustainability criteria should be defined and measure (e.g. progression of the number of employees over a period of time, number of client contracts, buys and sales records, infrastructures and productive assets owned, etc.).